Ok, so now on to the story: Our girl loves a good breeze. Regular readers will remember that for weeks Cate would stick her tongue out whenever she was faced with this force of nature called breeze. She's stopped doing that, but you can tell that she still just loves the blowing wind. And she has shown a distinct preference for cool breezes, which she definitely gets from her dad. I prefer to keep my "cool" breezes at about 72 degrees, thank you.
It's been in the mid-40s to low-50s here for a week or so (gasp) and tonight when Sam left to teach, Cate and I walked outside for a minute to say goodbye. She was so happy to be in the cool air that I decided to bundle her up and head out for an adventure.
Because Cate is half Wisconsinite, bundling her up meant adding a sweater and hat to her outfit. I am decidedly not half Wisconsinite and added a sweater, fleece-lined ski jacket, scarf, hat and socks to mine.
Not surprisingly, when we got to the playground there were (for once) no menacing fifth-graders standing in the baby swing. In fact, there were no kids out at all. Funny, when you take your infant to the park in 50 degree weather with rain clouds brooding overhead, you get the whole place to yourself.
I put Cate in the baby swing and she was in heaven! Hanging out in a hat swinging in the cool breeze is just her style.
I really try to not worry about what everyone else thinks about my parenting style (see "Yes, She's a Baby. And Yes, She's Here for Dinner"), but tonight as I pushed Cate in the swing for a few minutes I did find myself wondering what kind of kook passers-by might have thought I was.
And I came to the conclusion that I'm no kook ...
I'm just a California girl doing the best I can for my half Wisconsinite baby.
No comments:
Post a Comment