Thursday, March 17, 2011

Cate is Five Weeks Old!


“Wow! She is a month old already?! Can you believe it?” is something I’ve heard a lot lately. Cate is so much fun, we love her to death, and yes, I can believe it. It’s been five weeks and three days to be exact, and I’ve felt every minute of it! Not in a bad way, but this has probably been the longest five weeks of my life. I hear that at some point you blink and they are starting kindergarten, then you blink again and they are graduating from high school—but so far, when I blink the only thing that happens is I fall asleep. Then when I blink again she wakes up. So we’ll see … I’ll keep you posted!

One of the things I really love about writing this update every week is that it is on my mind throughout the week. As we go through the week, I often find myself thinking about what I will include here. I jot down my story ideas and then I’m ready to go when it’s time to write this on Friday or Saturday. For the last two weeks, I’ve done this with the laptop propped up on my lap while Sam and I watch a movie and Cate takes her last nap of the day. It’s a good life we have, and I am so grateful for Sam and Cate and all the fun we are having together.

Cate’s First Awkward Stage Our adorable Cate’s hair has grown out so that it is starting to cover her fuzzy ears, her tear ducts are still clogged so she has constant eye boogers, she’s now facing a bout of baby acne, and she scratched her face in the night and broke the skin, all of which combine to make this officially her first awkward stage. I hope that getting through this will be inspiration for her in later awkward stages because (let’s be honest) she’s going to have them!

Forever in Blue Jeans Cate and I went on a big adventure Thursday night to visit Sam while he was teaching a class at Orson Gygi. I got Cate dressed in a light pink onesie and decided it was the perfect occasion for her to debut her boot cut blue jeans, and off we went. We ended up staying through the whole class! We got home and Sam had to run to the Art Institute for a minute. While he was gone, I changed Cate’s diaper and saw that her legs were blue! My first thought was that her diaper had somehow cut off her circulation, but she seemed fine except for her color so I figured that couldn’t be it. My next thought was that somehow I had bruised her, even though I touch her so gently. Of course, that had me really worried. I called Sam right away and told him to hurry home. Then, just as I got off the phone with Sam, I saw her jeans sitting on the chair next to her changing table! Her jeans had turned her legs exactly the color of a bruise! We washed her off and just like that—circulation back, no terrible bruise-causing disease. Whew!

Meeting Wilma This week, we went to visit my friend Wilma, whom I met through the Duke Club of Salt Lake about eight years ago. Wilma graduated from Duke in 1944 and has lived in Salt Lake City for more than 60 years. We became fast friends and have done so many fun things together over the years, including watching Duke basketball games, going on lunch dates, and working on craft and sewing projects together. Wilma came to visit Cate in the hospital, but this was our first visit to Wilma’s house. Cate was so good and just loved snuggling with Wilma!

No comments:

Post a Comment