So far the most surprising thing about being Cate’s mom has been that I really do seem to be able to figure out what she needs pretty quickly (Sam has this same ability!). It is not true that the second I pick her up any time she is fussy she is overwhelmed by my maternal love and settles right down, but it is true that I generally know when she needs to eat, when she needs her diaper changed, and when she is just tired. She hardly fusses at all, so that probably makes it easier. I have stopped checking on her every five minutes through the night, and we finally now sleep without any lights on. For the first few weeks I wanted to check her breathing every second. She’s become a more consistent breather as she has gotten older, and I’ve relaxed a little. Either that or I am just too exhausted by the time she goes down that I really don’t have the energy to stay away watching her breathe! The pediatrician told me the only cure for hyperactive checking on her is exhaustion, and I think he was right!
Another surprising thing about being Cate’s mom is discovering that even at only three weeks old, she has preferences. She simply likes some things better than others, and I’ve highlighted a few of those here.
Cate’s Quirks There are a few things about Cate that make her unique already, and we just love them. One is that she really prefers not to be swaddled. It took us a few weeks to figure this out, but now we are going with it. We wrap her in a blanket tightly, but usually with her arms out. She likes to keep them above her head when she sleeps. I love that we have this ultrasound picture of her doing just what she likes to do now:
Another surprising thing about being Cate’s mom is discovering that even at only three weeks old, she has preferences. She simply likes some things better than others, and I’ve highlighted a few of those here.
Cate’s Quirks There are a few things about Cate that make her unique already, and we just love them. One is that she really prefers not to be swaddled. It took us a few weeks to figure this out, but now we are going with it. We wrap her in a blanket tightly, but usually with her arms out. She likes to keep them above her head when she sleeps. I love that we have this ultrasound picture of her doing just what she likes to do now:

Things Cate loves: wearing short sleeves, snuggling with Daddy, wearing socks, having a clean face, laying on Lamby (her blanket from Grandpa, pictured above), riding in the car, bath/spa time, eating, trying to hold her own bottle
Things Cate does not love: the sound of packages opening (like the crinkling of a bag of chips), wearing two layers of long sleeves (causes bunching of undershirt at the elbows—very uncomfy!), clothes that are even slightly too big, having her hat fall down over her eyes
No comments:
Post a Comment